Friday, July 24, 2009

To Eat Or Not To Eat

Workout points or calories that is. There is a lot of debate on this subject. Do you eat the calories you burn when you workout? I've tried both ways and have formed my own opinion on the subject. Granted, I'm sure there are more scientific or professional opinions and facts behind it all, but this is what I feel.

To Eat - When I first started out, last year, and even for a couple months this time, I ate my activity points. By the way, activity points are what Weight Watchers gives you for your working out. They have a calculator for that as well, going off of your weight, how long you worked out, and your intensity. For example, if I work out for 30 minutes at a moderate pace, that is breaking a sweat, but still able to talk, I can eat 2 more points for that day. I did have a loss, but nothing outrageous. I think most of the loss came from just following my plan.

Not To Eat - Shortly after I restarted this year, I had an epiphany. If I go workout and burn say 200 calories or 2 points worth of food, then go and eat an extra 2 points, what exactly did I just workout for. Nothing?! I mean, I go work the calories off, just to eat them again, so basically I worked out for nothing! That definitely isn't something I like to do! I quit eating the activity point and lost 4 pounds that first week. With my weight now, I can watch and kind of control my loss with how much I work out. One week I really dig in and do 3-4 days working out, I'll lose 2 pounds easily. The weeks where I slack and not workout or maybe do it once, I usually stay the same, or worse, gain.

As you can see, I favor the "Not To Eat" workout calories. Ultimately, the choice is up to you. I just know whats proven to work for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment