Tuesday, April 27, 2010

How To Keep From Snacking

Alright, you caught me. I've been avoiding you. You could probably guess why... I've been naughty. My weigh in on Friday reflected my week, no weight lost, none gained. I guess that's ok, but that's not what I want to happen. I want and need those numbers to go DOWN!!! My problem, and yes, I can finally admit it, I snack way too much. I did great Monday. I was out of the shoot like a rocket. Tuesday, I did ok.. Ok. Wednesday, hahahahaha, I was too embarrassed to journal all the food I shoved in my mouth. Then I have the buyers remorse... afterwards. I think to myself, "Why did I just do that?!" "Was I really hungry?"

Most of the time, I would say, "Yes, I am hungry!"

And I was Wednesday. It was the whole, Day 3 back on plan, hungry. But if I answered those questions honestly, the answer for hungry is usually "probably not." The why, to that I would have to say, boredom. I had nothing in my hands or mouth, I found myself in the kitchen again, I grabbed a piece of candy while cleaning, things like that. Sadly, the things I'd pop in my mouth were not the healthy options either.

So all in all, I need more will power. I've been so lax on myself this time around, for some reason. I haven't found the why on that, but I'm guessing the busy schedule. I finished my Creative Writing class last night, which takes a load off. The one thing it did give me is my awesome story I can work on and get finished. Maybe I'll get published... better start looking good for my back cover shot. lol

I've got to work harder on the eating and exercise. I haven't worked out since last week (unless you count the walking around campus yesterday) so I made a promise to myself that I would today. As far as food goes, I need more discipline. I did good yesterday morning and afternoon, but splurged a bit that evening. I'll be home today, so I can watch that. And I did myself a favor. I bought 100 cal pack snacks, fruits, veggies, and other things that a more calorie friendly to me. Thought about cleaning the table off today, but if I dig out the candy bowl I'll be more likely to pick, so maybe I'll just leave that hidden a little longer.

Enough with my rambling, lesson learned, need to apply. On to the ways to stop from snacking. I really need to follow these.

How To Keep From Snacking

Drink Water - I think we've all heard this one. I know we all have heard over and over again like a broken record, "drink more water, drink more water, drink more water." So not only will you be hitting the snack cravings with water, you'll also be drinking more water! What a way to kill two birds with one stone. Even better, I found that adding a packet of Crystal Lite to the water will get any sweet craving you have. My fav is the Pomegranate Lemonade, it's nummy! And who can complain about 10 calories a pack!!!

Chew Gum - The other day, I was getting ready to go shopping. I could feel the afternoon hunger coming on, but I needed to get my shopping done right then. After I popped in a piece of gum, I forgot mostly about my hunger and it kept my mouth busy so I wasn't trying to find things to shove in it. If you don't have gum, then brush your teeth. What food tastes good after you brush your teeth!?

Stay Out of the Kitchen - This would be my #1 problem. A lot of the times, I can't stay out of the kitchen with cleaning, having to stay in there while children eat, walking through there to get laundry and other various things for the children. I am constantly finding myself in the kitchen. It's the times that I realize I'm in the kitchen that I start snacking. If I'm passing through with a full basket of clothes, give myself a list of things to do, or if I'm carrying things in my hands (such as phone), then I'm less likely to pick.

Stock Up on Good Foods - This step involves a little investment, but it will pay off. Go to the store and stock up on fruit, veggies, 100 calorie packs, healthy snacks, water, etc. When you do want to pick and snack, pick and snack on these things. But please make sure not to eat more than one 100 calorie pack in one sitting!

Stay Busy/Exercise - If your always moving, then you're less likely to eat. Like I mentioned above, when I walk through the kitchen with my hands full, I don't snack. Don't just sit idle (especially in the kitchen), move! Go exercise, that's even better! Then, not only are you curing the boredom/hunger, but you're burning calories! WIN/WIN!

Think About It - As your scavenging through the cabinets and candy dishes, stop for one minute and think. Ask yourself a few questions, "Am I really hungry?" "Do I really need to eat this?" "Are there better options for what I'm about to eat?" "How am I going to feel when I'm done eating this?" "Why am I eating this?" I can guarantee in most instances, if you stop and think about the snacking, then you'll walk away. Need more motivation? Try on your favorite pants. Are they snug? If so, then work to make those comfy. If not, then go buy a smaller pair of pants to work to!

Plan Your Meals - I've been guilty of just going off the fly here lately. Especially with all the homework I've had, I usually don't think about dinner until dinner time. It seemed like there was an Italian theme in my kitchen last week, because it was all pasta or pizza. Not that they all are horrible for me, but they aren't the best choices. If you can't plan your meals out for a week, at least try to plan the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment