Friday, August 5, 2011

Getting the Hang of It!

So, I woke up this morning, wanting to dance!  I know, how weird, but great for the motivating factor!  Got all the kids breakfast and decided I'd try to tackle refining my steps while I didn't have little feet under me! lol  I had to take a few seconds in each song to get reacquainted with the steps, but picked it all back up very fast.  I found a different video for Crank That where the guy explains out the steps a little better and in higher volume!  It's actually pretty easy steps, but it's a matter of putting them all together to the faster music.

Had a weigh in this morning.  Not very pleased with the results.  Up 5 lbs from the last time I stepped on the scale... however long ago that was.  I don't know that I want to put my weight here for everyone, but I will say that it's almost as high as my highest point.  And no, that's not bragging.. that's shame.  I've almost gained 40 lbs back from my lowest point (after kids).  I really did want/need a break from being so weight loss, weight loss, weight loss, but I went a tad over board.  Didn't reign in when I probably should have, and overall just enjoyed all the spices of life! lol  To get back on board, I'm taking this one step at a time.  For now, I'll continue my experiment and see if that garners enough weight loss to keep me satisfied.  At least so that I feel better and look better in my clothes!


Dance it OFF! Experiment
Day 2 (8/5/11)

The Experiment:
Learn the dance moves to 7 particular dance songs.  Dancing the songs in a certain, consistent order over time to produce weight loss results. Songs all involve moves to get the cardio working, as well as working various muscles in the body.  The song order is as follows:
  1. Electric Boogie -- Marcia Griffiths
  2. Cha Cha Slide -- DJ Casper
  3. Cupid Shuffle -- Cupid
  4. Cotton Eye Joe -- Rednecks
  5. Crank That -- Soulja Boy
  6. Macarena -- Los Del Rio
  7. Thriller -- Michael Jackson
The links with the song show either the original video with the dance moves or a dance instruction video.  Trying to make it easy for you to find some sources if you want to play along with me!


The Results:
Got through the Electric Boogie no prob.  About half way through the song, I started mixing in rolls and tummy flexing moves to try and get a little more work out there.  
Got funky all the way through the Cha Cha slide.  Again I didn't have any children around me when I did this dance, so I was able to work myself more.  Worked up a good sweat, but then had to take a break after the song for children related duties! lol
Can I just say, I was proud to find when I started Cupid Shuffle, I actually ended up with the right moves at the chorus!  Go me!  I grooved to this one, really working up a sweat. I think that was because the children thought it was more entertaining to watch mom do this and not try it themselves!  Luckily it didn't catch their attention for long, so they were on to something else. Took a small break after this, since I know how Cotton Eye Joe can be.
I remembered the steps to this dance, except for the chicken part, so had to reference the video when something felt out of place.  Did all of Cotton Eye Joe, really feeling the burn and sweat after that!  Sometimes, it feels longer than a 4 minute song. lol  Definitely took a break after this song and looked up new tutorials for Crank That.
The new video for Crank That really helped to break down the steps for me.  It's actually pretty easy step wise, just gets more difficult when you put it to the faster beat of the song. Abby, Emma, and Jake wanted to try this one again, so we stepped it out a few times before adding music.  The first 2 times I nailed it!  I was like "Yeah!"   Kind of flubbed up the beginning and in my rush to catch up to the song, I Supermanned my foot right into Catey's belly.  Luckily I didn't get her hard at all, but she was like "HEY!" lol  So after we giggled that off for a minute, we started the music back up and tried again.  The kids kept with me, doing what they could to keep up, and we made it about 2:30 through the song, before mommy was really work out.  I think the Crank That part is what kills the most. lol  Had to sit for a break after this one.  I'm telling you, if you want a work out, try Crank That! lol
The girls were ready for another song to dance to and I needed some kind of cool down, so I taught them the Macarena.  They loved this one because it's so easy!!  The big 3 (kids) and I did the whole Macarena without a hitch!  Then it was time for mommy to relax.  We all were sweating doing the dances, plus the kids were pretty wore out too!  I would call that a good success.  It took half the morning for them to decide they wanted to get back up and play! lol  My face was still red an hour later.. meaning I worked out good too!  Guess we'll find out in a week if it's paying off!

I'm happy to report that I do have someone playing along with me!  She did some Electric Sliding to Shania Twain, while holding a preschooler!  Now I could see where that would be a workout!  I might have to do the Electric Slide while holding Catey tomorrow, just to give it a shot!  I think that would definitely add an arm boost to the dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment